Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Waste Land

So I just watched what I expected to be a somewhat lame documentary about modern art. The documentary "WASTE LAND follows renowned artist Vik Muniz as he journeys from his home base in Brooklyn to his native Brazil and the world's largest garbage dump, Jardim Gramacho, located on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro. There he photographs an eclectic band of “catadores”—self-designated pickers of recyclable materials. Muniz’s initial objective was to “paint” the catadores with garbage. However, his collaboration with these inspiring characters as they recreate photographic images of themselves out of garbage reveals both the dignity and despair of the catadores as they begin to re-imagine their lives. "
Somehow the people of this junk heap became a part of something much greater: an idea- a realization. As the movie followed the journey from meeting these people who remain optimistic, despite the circumstances of life which led them to this job, to everyone being changed by seeing themselves in such a positive way- my own eyes were changed. 
I was exposed to the story of a people living in what we might call destitution- getting $20-$25 for a full day of hard and dangerous work and being very thankful to God for it. In one of the first interviews with a worker, the man was asked if he was unhappy. He replied "No, I am fine. If I complain, God will need to punish me." How these people can find humility in their place astounds me. It even breaks my heart. Instead of being angry at everything- even after being empowered to leave, some returned because they missed their "colleagues." The community there was much more loving and supporting than any I've lived in- simply because they all know that they struggle together. 
A large mantra among them is that their work is honorable- not dirty. One woman commented "It's hard, but it's better than turning tricks for the Copa Cabana. The father of my children is a drug dealer- but if I depended on him to provide for my children I'd be screwed. When I first started riding the bus home after working a few days, women would look at me and say 'what's that smell?' and I knew it was me. Finally I just started asking people if I stink before they could speak. What I do is better than prostituting myself. I know that what I do is stinky, but when I get home- I can take a shower and I'll be fine." One  man who died during the making of the movie was highly revered by everyone- and highly quoted. He admitted that he hadn't been educated at all- but out of his love he spoke wisdom when speaking to the people. He encouraged the young people who had just arrived at the job "When you get your money, don't think that it's dirty money! What you do is honorable! It's better to be here and working hard than to be rich and have no morals."
In a country so riddled with crimes such as prostitution and robbery, where drug cartels war in the streets- and people are happy when there is quiet- here is found an exception: a people, an example, of the lower middle class working hard and having more meaningful conversation than most. They find books which are thrown away and give it to the few with enough literacy to read and talk to them about what they read. Most books are just recycled in ignorance. They have deep conversations about philosophy and about great thinkers- deciding where they themselves lie in school of thought. Their emotions run deep when talking of their dreams and their heartache- and they aren't afraid to let tears go. They remain respectful and thankful to God for the little they do have. These are the loving people many people would throw away just the same as the refuse they work in.
As they were noting the prices of some items of what we might think of as garbage- they added that the millionaires' garbage gets mixed in with the poorest of families. They would judge what kind of family the trash came from. Looking at the pile of garbage and mess in my room- which before watching this movie I felt disgusted by, I now feel very grateful for. The things I have in my college dorm room- where some might think that what I live in is much less than the comforts of home- my eyes are opened to the fact that it is quite the contrary. I am more than wealthy- and now somewhat ashamed.
The artist who decided to begin this project actually had humble beginnings not far from where they decided to perform this transformation. He said "I'd rather want everything and have nothing than have everything and want nothing. Because at least when you want something your life has a meaning- it's worthwhile. From the moment you think you have everything, you have to search for meaning in other things- and having nothing. I spent half my life wanting everything and having nothing, and now I have everything and I don't want anything... When I was poor I wanted material things. I just wanted to have things. I had to buy a lot of crap to get rid of that complex." The artist himself did not know that what he started would result in something so drastic.
Look around you. Look how great the blessings God has given you are! You're reading this off of a computer right now. Today I asked God in earnest- "show me how to love more" and of all mediums- He spoke to my heart through a documentary on an art project. This is the faithfulness of my God. I highly suggest you watch this movie yourself. Draw your own conclusions- have your eyes be opened and your heart changed. God sent us into this world to save the people in it- not store up nice things. He allows us to have them as a blessing, but we can make it a curse so easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment